Subscribe Twitter

Friday, January 14, 2011

Ricotta and Parsley Frittata

Oh Mario Batali, how I wish you were an opera singer. I mean, he definitely has the build for it. Plus, those looks ... to die for! :P Just joking, he is actually one of my favorites to watch on television solely for the fact that he seems to do no wrong. And, on that note, I decided to follow up one of his recipes for breakfast this morning: Ricotta Frittatas! Also, for Christmas, my mom sent me this adorable cupcake maker. In the instruction manual, it says it can be used to make virtually anything in a small cupcake-size. So, I thought I'd make some bite-size frittatas instead. Fingers crossed that they turn out well ... Below is the ingredient list that Batali suggests:

1 medium onion, thinly sliced $0.99
1 tablespoon marjoram leaves $2.99
8 eggs $1.89
1 cup fresh sheep’s milk ricotta cheese $2.99
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese $2.79
1 cup spicy tomato sauce $0.75

Total: $12.40

Loving that total! Thank you Mario! The one change I made in his list was to switch the marjoram leaves for a bundle of parsley. Although the aromatic, oregano-style herb may have added a bit of bite to the creamy bundles of joy, I opted to save $2.00 and go for the latter.





The Finished Product
!

I have to say, these were absolutely delicious! A great breakfast item that took about 10 minutes to make and even less time to finish ;D The ricotta and the spicy tomato sauce are definitely necessary. If anyone else has any favorite frittata recipes on hand, let me know! I'm hooked!

Edited Ingredient List:

1 medium onion, thinly sliced $0.99
1 tablespoon parsley $0.99
8 eggs $1.89
1 cup fresh sheep’s milk ricotta cheese $2.99
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese $2.79
1 cup spicy tomato sauce $0.75

New Total: $10.40

Mario's original recipe can be found here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This website is pretty cool! It's amazing the amount of money you can save when you make your own food--and that Ricotta and Parsley Frittata looks like heaven!

Anonymous said...

Oh yummy! These look delicious and I love ricotta cheese. Wish I had some for breakfast like now!

Kayla said...

These look amazing and low carb to boot, which is what I'm looking for all of the time. I will be making these ASAP! Thanks, I'm loving your site!

Reeni said...

These are cute and better yet they look delicious! I love your concept but your prices seem really high - do you mean 2.79 for just the 3 tablespoons of Parmesan or the entire chunk of cheese and if so where do you shop? It sounds like you're getting ripped off.

Martina said...

@Reeni - At the grocery store, it's $2.79 for 6 ounces of shredded Parmesan. I think I will try and include the where I get my prices from now, thank you! :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really look delicious. This is my first visit to your blog but I really like what I found here and will be back. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

Post a Comment